Why no Posting? (or . . . bad BAD Paul)

So -- I finally posted something, just not here. For my German speaking friends, family and colleagues I have set up a sister-blog to post the Drashot that I actually write down. (Oy -- I know -- once again bad BAD Paul.) The fact is, Geiger has a policy that all Drashot are written minimum 8 - days before a pulpit visit, that our Director of Student Placement can review and make suggestions/changes to a sermon. I actually believe this to be a positive idea, I am just not always successful in complying as it takes me ten times as long to formulate my thoughts in written German and I am still much more comfortable with five bullet points and free speaking. That being said, complying with my school's wishes is important, and in an effort to push myself, I will publish any Drashot that I successfully get on paper before a deadline. I have to give here also a huge shout-out to my German coach that has been helping me more than I can say getting this stuff done, and that made the following Drasha readable in my adopted language.

First one HERE

Now -- why no other posting?

I had a chilling experience a while back. I googled myself (yes -- don't look so shocked -- you google yourself too) and saw that on google.de one of the results was not shown and was censored by google. I went to chillingeffects.org to try and figure out the cause -- as -- needless to say -- I had an unpleasant feeling in my stomach. The site described the censoring as "German regulatory body reported illegal material." Cue unpleasant feeling getting worse. I did the same search on google.com, which unless the issue was an interpol issue would show the site, and found that an article about me had been posted to a neo-Nazi website. No comments, simply an article about funding for Abraham Geiger Kolleg that was posted to a neo-Nazi website to let like-minded folks know, I guess, that the government of Brandenburg was involved in funding Jews. Chilling effect indeed. Needless to say, although I truly choose to not live a life of fear-- I felt a significant decline since that time of any desire whatsoever to post thoughts on my blog. I hope I do overcome this, as I still think I have a bit to say-- but for now, I'll let everyone know when a new sermon is up, and continue trying to give my energy to a type of work that-- hopefully -- involves dafka the exact opposite energy of the folks that posted my name.

Comments

Unknown said…
So, when you are not alone--but the chilling effect worked for them--it stopped you from communicating. I don't blame you for you concerns.
When I went to Jerusalem to stand with Women of the Wall I felt the anger, stress, sheer madness of emotions that surrounded what I thought was a pure and holy site. Only to discover that hatred from fellow Jews was real. And they are not even outside the circle of folks who chose to hate me.
The courage of the Egyptian population has for whatever reason given me pause to remember it takes fearlessness to be seen as different in the midst of human emotions filled with fear and hate.
Take courage and do not let the bastards get you down!
Love JO

Popular posts from this blog

What I Did (am doing?!) On My Summer "Vacation"

Life in Yerushaliyim

The Day I Fell In Love With Jerusalem