Final Post from Jerusalem (for this trip, anyway.)


(Photo note: Perspective is always good—this was one of our “guides” on my first tour of the Old City with HU students. This would be the last trip I went on in a group—not because I objected to the guard—on the contrary! The majority of students at Ulpan are in the 19-21 year old range, a war was going on, and HU’s liability must be very high. This was my last group trip simply because I like my little feet to take me where they want to go, wherever that may be.)

And actually, it won’t be my final post from this trip. I have been working on about five other longer posts over the course of my time here, and will continue posting until all has been said that I can say this time without wearing out my fingers or boring you to tears.

It is about two hours before I head back down to HUC for Kol Nidre and the beginning of the 25 hours of Yom Kippur. For my last post while I am here, I am simply going to throw out a couple or so (mostly random) thoughts and observations, some of which may become expanded thoughts in the future.

. . . I love the fact that in Jerusalem Hillel and Shamai streets run parallel.

. . . The only thing more amazing than the near complete stillness of the streets of Jerusalem during the Sabbath is the speed at which stores open after Havdalah. We said Havdalah at 6:29 last night and by 7:00 every pub, store, and restaurant in the pedestrian area of the New City welcomed us all for business. (Yes Virginia, there is a nightlife in Jerusalem.)

. . . Had my first Kosher Hamburger in Jerusalem. Some folks I met up with last night had a hankering, and, with apologies to my Vegetarian and Vegan friends -- YUM!

. . . Israelis love their T-Shirts and tourists love to buy them-- other than my Hebrew Language Philadelphia Eagles t-shirt that I am bringing home with me, my favorite that I have seen said, "My job is so secret I don't even know what I am doing." Anyone at ACS want this t-shirt? Going, going . . .

. . . The city has filled with more soldiers than usual for the holiday. Two suicide bombers were captured in the West Bank earlier this week that were plotting to carry out attacks during Yom Kippur. I am forced to consider the contrast between this news while here and the threats of terrorism in the US. While I have no doubts that folks would like and are planning to carry out more attacks in the US, there is a stark difference between the Homeland Security color changing from Puce to Fucia (wait, is that the correct color scheme?) and the IDF holding up two explosive belts and the last-will cassettes made by the terrorists. In the states the warnings go up the day after a scandal or bad news is released (I am guessing with Bob Woodward’s new book, the US is due a “credible threat” in the next week) and the majority seem to react in fear or apathy. In Israel, the bombs and soldiers are a fact of life, and, yes, I will be walking down through the Ben Yehuda pedestrian area as I always do, a place of several suicide bombings in the past, because, quite simply, life goes on. It is not apathy, it is simply that davening on Yom Kippur, fasting with a Minyan, and hearing the stunning sounds of the Kol Nidre are all much more important that quaking in my room and wondering “what if?”

. . . I am convinced that the majority of Israelis, secular and religious, do not have even the most basic understanding of Reform/Progressive Judaism. I want to give a big Yasher Koach to the work of WUPJ and all that is done by progressive communities worldwide – but we are possibly losing the battle. Read this article about a typical situation in Netanya, and you see what I mean. Warning—opinion ahead: We all, as a community and as individuals, must at the very least be able to communicate why we are Reform Jews and the value of that choice. We must be able to talk with Jews and non Jews, Secular Jews and Religious Jews. Although it (I believe) is hard to see in the states, there is a huge proportion of B’nai Israel around the world that consider “us” as best heretical. I do not believe the answer is to ignore this and go our own way, and I also do not think the challenge to engage folks is a naïve one. In the last century, the different perspectives of the Brit (as I am from now on going to call the various movements in Judaism) have only come together during times of trouble. Is this appropriate? Is this what we want to wait for? I reject the notion that our differences are irreconcilable. It is not about he-said-she-said or who is right and wrong, it is about perspectives. Again, I am not naïve. I am quite aware of the history of dialogue (or the lack of dialogue) between Jewish perspectives in the US and around the world. The answer is not to stop all attempts and retreat but to at the very least begin in our own communities with two questions: What are the issues of common ground that we really want to pursue, and how do we effectively communicate who we are to ourselves first and the greater diversity of Judaism second. I am not talking about a statement of faith, I am talking about active self-knowledge and principals of communication. If we are going to make the choices that we make and have our membership dollars and time support a specific community let’s all at least know what our community stands for, and if we do already know this, let's help the rest of our community understand as well. It’s a start, isn’t it? (Note – anyone that is curious for more detail, you can read the well written principals from my congregation in Seattle. The progressive movement in Germany has as well put some mental muscle into a document of 35 “Grundsaetze.” I have linked to them here—the document is German, but I’ll get a translation out to you all in the next few weeks. Finally, I understand that many folks will bristle at the act of even writing down principals. To some they are simply anathema to the uniqueness and, well, “reform” nature of the Reform movement. To this I say—yes, I understand, but it seems to me that it is a minority of Jews from any perspective that, when challenged, can help another perspective understand their own path. At the very least, these sorts of documents can provide a starting point for these challenges.)

. . . A long bearded, black coated man stopped me on the way to Shul on Friday to pass on the weekly Parasha from his community. Interesting stuff in the flier – certainly not my usual perspective, but there are always one or two things to learn. Anyway, as we parted and I wished him an “Easy Fast,” he in return wished me a “Meaningful” fast. I am sure it is not original, but it sure left an impression on me. For those of you that are celebrating Yom Kippur, may you all indeed have a meaningful fast.

Signing out from Jerusalem,

Wishing you Peace, Salaam, Shalom, and Frieden,

Paul


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I Did (am doing?!) On My Summer "Vacation"

Life in Yerushaliyim

The Day I Fell In Love With Jerusalem